Due to Denver Water’s closure of the Osprey Pt boat access for the duration of the dam expansion project, this trip has been cancelled. They are proposing expanding the North access, but that won’t happen until June and may involve a 1/4 steep carry to the water. If the North Access becomes reasonable, we may reschedule this trip later in the summer.
Please join us for a paddle and picnic on Gross Reservoir – a hidden gem in the foothills above Boulder. This Denver Water reservoir is nestled among beautiful Ponderosa Pine forests and Granite rock, affording 10 miles of shoreline and 440 acres of surface area paddling. We’ll enjoy a morning paddle followed by picnic lunch at the South Boulder Creek inlet. This is an ACA-sanctioned trip which requires either an ACA membership or $10 for insurance. Owner’s name, address, and phone number must be legibly marked on all canoes and kayaks per Gross Reservoir ranger. Also, only non-motorized car-top-carried boats are allowed, and boats can be no more than 18-feet in length.
Be at the boat ramp ready to paddle at 9am (strong winds come up most afternoon) and the access road fills early with paddle boarders and kayakers.
Directions From Boulder:
- Head west on Baseline Road which becomes Flagstaff Road and then eastern Gross Dam Road.
- Follow signs to Osprey Boat Launch Site.
- Driving time is approximately 45 minutes from Baseline and Broadway.
Directions from Denver:Take Highway 93 north to Highway 72.
- Turn left (west) on Highway 72 toward Pinecliffe to County Road 77/Gross Dam Road.
- Turn right on Gross Dam Road and follow signs to Osprey Boat Launch Site
- Drive time is approximately 1.25 hours from Denver to Gross.
Please RSVP to Bill (contact info below) by the preceding Thursday.
Bill Ashworth, 720-352-6456 washwort at gmail.com